Friday, December 30, 2011

Ahead

It’s that time of the year when we indulge in retrospection, introspection and prospection (one, either or all). Why now? What’s so great about 31st December? We could do it on any day of the year too; but perhaps the onset of a ‘new’ year gives rise to hope. And as you all know, hope is a good thing. Maybe this newness gives us an impetus to try and set things straight, to mend our ways, or explore unchartered avenues. But of course, for that we need to reflect on the year gone by.
For me? Well, this was one of the fastest years of my life. I remember last New Year eve, like yesterday – I watched one of the Twilight movies on TV (so yeah, shoot me – I wasn’t partying all night, or going wild!). I had planned to go home for New Year, but then I couldn’t because of work and I sadly had to cancel the tickets. This time, I didn’t know whether I wanted to be home for New Year, and by then the public decided it for me (by booking all available train/bus tickets) – and here I am, another New Year’s eve, at Mangalore. So what did I do last year? – All of 365 days, or 8760 hours, or 5,25,600 minutes or 31,536,000 seconds of it! I don’t know!

I fail at trying to recollect everything that happened in the last year – it’s either because my memory’s failing me, it wasn’t eventful or both. Life went on as usual. I had one of the most harrowing times, early this year with the flat owner, in whose flat I was staying. Decency prevents me from using the most vehement cuss words – otherwise you’d find a ‘Sahasranama’ of sorts here! It was good riddance to get out of that place and move into another. I believe in a higher power, and I also believe in Karma – so I am sure he’ll be taken care of.

Moving on, I grew a year older (and hopefully, wiser). I am not the kind to fuss on growing ‘old’ but it did hit me with an unprecedented intensity, this year. For more reasons than one. I still think that I haven’t grown old, or much water hasn’t flown under the bridge – but it only needs a song to make me think otherwise. How, you ask? For instance, say, I listen to Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, or Dil Toh Pagal Hai or Kaho Na Pyaar Hai … I still think it’s not that old a movie. But then I do my math and realize – it’s been anywhere between THIRTEEN to SIXTEEN years since those movies released! Can you imagine?! I remember having bathed my cousins, played with them and dressed them up when they were babies, and now they are moving onto their 10th standard! And most importantly, this is the time when you look around to see that your friends are committed, engaged, married, have kid(s) or are in various stages of attaining the aforesaid accomplishments. Attending such functions in itself becomes an important social commitment and what’s worse, all the pesky relatives, family friends et al have only one question to ask – so, when’s yours? (What that implies is I haven’t had much luck with changing my relationship status).

Sigh. Why do we need to grow old; or the more pertinent question – why do we need to grow up?

As far as writing/blogging goes, it was a pretty decent year – I managed to churn something out, as consistently as I could; the lull phases were there, but not long enough. I hope to keep myself active on that front in the coming year, and be more serious about it, if I can.

What do I want from the year ahead? I don’t know. There were times (not often), when I’d try to plan my life ahead; but as a very wise Allen once said, ‘If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans’. So no, I don’t intend to humour Him anymore – I would like Him to humour me instead! Jokes apart, I think life’s like a jigsaw puzzle; you have some pieces and try as you may, they don’t seem to fit in. But a bigger picture will emerge someday and it’ll make more sense. So here I am, with a few pieces, hoping for the rest to fall into place (quite literally). Have a blessed New Year, and remember – everything happens for a reason. On that note, see you all next year!

6 comments:

  1. LOL at the 'sahasranama' of sorts. Your analogy of life as a jigsaw puzzle is brilliant. Makes loads of sense to me.
    It's been great reading your blog this year, and I'm looking forward to more in the coming years. Happy New Year, Vinitha. Wishing you all happiness and luck in 2012:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, thanks Krishna :D
    It's been great discovering you too - and hope that I get to see more of you in the years ahead: Cheers to that! Let's hope it's an awe-freaking-some year ahead! :D
    Happy 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes this was a good year for ur blogs. I hope this year you change your relationship status and give us the good news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Arju, for the wishes ;)
    Have a great life-changing year yourself... Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that was such a thought provoking post - ofcourse with ususal dose of humour!! Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nirvana - here's wishing you, your family (and your blog)a Happy New Year. Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...